The Perfect Blueberry Cheese Pie

I must confess that I love cream cheese. I make stuffed French toast with it, I mix it with roasted garlic for a fantastic dip, and I have a dog who will just about do back-flips for a lick of it. Cream cheese is awesome.

I adapted this recipe from the Williams-Sonoma Pies & Tarts cookbook. It is so, so good. I got a great response from this pie, even before it was out of the oven. Oh, the smell was heavenly. You must make this while blueberries are still in season.

I used graham crackers for the crust since I had some on hand, but you can use other cookies or cracker crumbs if you prefer. I have to say that the honey graham cracker crust was delicious. Maybe that had something to do with the whole stick of butter in it. Yeah, maybe.

The custard part is super easy and quickly comes together in one bowl. You can use a hand- or stand-mixer. (My awesome KitchenAid stand mixer whipped it up in two minutes.)

I have realized that I like to add fresh nutmeg and lemon juice to all of my fruit pies. You don’t have to, but I like it. A lot.

Perfect Blueberry Cheese Pie

Crumb Crust

1½-2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 12-16 crackers)
2 tbs sugar (optional)
pinch salt
½ cup (yes, 1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Mix all ingredients and pat into 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 8 minutes at 325°. Let cool on a wire rack before filling.

Cheese Custard

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp fresh, grated nutmeg
2 eggs

Combine cheese, sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg; beat until smooth. Add eggs, beat well. Pour into the cooled, baked pie shell and bake until set, about 25 minutes  at 325°. Let cool.

Blueberry Topping

2 cups (1 pint) blueberries
½ cup water
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1½ tbs cornstarch mixed with 2 tbs water
1 tbs fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp fresh, grated nutmeg

Combine berries, water, and sugar in saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add cornstarch, return to heat and bring to boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Let cool and spoon over cooled custard. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.

Assemble your ingredients before you start mixing so you won't forget anything

And always make your fruit pose for a pretty photo before baking

Just don't forget to adjust the manual focus before shooting the crust. D'oh!

Cream cheese custard filling before baking...

and after. Doesn't it look good? But wait, it gets better!

Look at that perfect slice! It tastes amazing. Please don't lick your screen!

About these ads

Tagged: , , , , , ,

12 thoughts on “The Perfect Blueberry Cheese Pie

1. frugalfeeding August 29, 2011 at 2:08 pm Reply

This looks seriously… seriously… amazing!

• Miss Petunia August 29, 2011 at 2:10 pm Reply

It *is* seriously amazing!! Oh my gosh. No lie, one of the best pies evah!

2. denisenfamily August 29, 2011 at 2:22 pm Reply

This sounds amazing!!!! I’m gonna try to make it, but I’m not much of a baker… so we’ll see.

• Miss Petunia August 29, 2011 at 2:25 pm Reply

This is an easy one. Lots of steps, but still fairly simple. You’ll do great!

3. Jereme's Kitchen August 29, 2011 at 2:52 pm Reply

i know i’m dumb, but i was picturing blueberries and mozzarella. this is a million times better.

• Miss Petunia August 29, 2011 at 2:55 pm Reply

Lawls!! That is precisely why I left the title as such. I imagined cheddar at first. May because I like purple and orange together. :)

4. Karina August 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm Reply

Looks and sounds perfectly delicious – and actually easy – I love press in place crusts (since I’m not a great crust roller)….and look – there is that fab typewriter in the background from you bench shot with Ollie <3

5. Berries and Cream Pie « mypiary September 1, 2011 at 9:43 am Reply

[…] mypiary A slice of the sweet life HomeAboutBibliography ← The Perfect Blueberry Cheese Pie […]

6. livinglearningeating September 2, 2011 at 12:43 pm Reply

Wow. I don’t like cream cheese but that’s beautiful. Hmm…how to somehow replace the cream cheese filling with ice cream?

Oh, and if you want to die of laughter, check this out: http://livinglearningeating.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/your-mom-should-have-warned-you/ .

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the post! :P

• Miss Petunia September 2, 2011 at 12:55 pm Reply

Oh, yes, I am sure you could use ice cream. I may have to try that and report back. Thanks for the idea!

7. Key Lime, Florida’s State Pie « mypiary September 13, 2011 at 9:00 am Reply

[…] my nearly fortnight-long love affair with the berries and cheese pie, I had to give it up. The Perfect Blueberry Cheese Pie was the best; the blueberry-raspberry cheese pie I made for the first tailgate of the season was […]

8. […] like a cheesecake pretending to be a pie (and who wouldn’t go for that?) I found the recipe here, and I stuck to it because clearly it was already […]